Tall Ship Avatar and the coronavirus
Actual situation October 1, 2020
We follow the instructions of the Dutch and local authorities. If there are no restrictions or travel bans, we will perform the journey as planned. We will of course keep a close eye on developments and will respond if necessary and inform the guests involved.
Measures on board
Safety has always been very important on board the Avatar and now even more with the Coronavirus. In collaboration with our branch organization, we have drawn up protocols to minimize the risk of infection with the Coronavirus. These protocols include amongst others the following measures:
We ask all persons who:
- have been in risk areas in the 7 days before departure (regions with more than 50 new corona infections per 100,000 inhabitants in the last 7 days);
- have had direct contact with an infected person, or themselves are suspected of being infected with the Corona virus;
- show the symptoms fever, cough, shortness of breath and/or breathing problems;
not to participate in the trip.
In order to protect guests and the crew on board, we have taken a number of measures in line with the generally recommended measures:
- wash hands regularly with soap (min. 20 sec.) by everyone on board
- coughing and sneezing in the bend of the elbow
- using paper handkerchiefs and throwing them directly in the trash after use
- wash hands with soap (min. 20 sec.) when returning on board (after a walk) and before and after meals
- avoid physical contact (such as shaking hands, etc.)
- on board we keep 1.5m distance from each other. This does not apply to people who form a household together*
- in situations where there is not enough space to keep distance, we will make way for each other or wear mouth-nose-masks
- avoid crowded places when visiting land and keep at least 1.5m away from others
- extra cleaning of surfaces such as door handles and handrails
- in the Netherlands: all meals are served (no buffets). In Germany buffets are allowed
- interior spaces are supplied with fresh air 6x per hour using mechanical ventilation
* In Germany, persons from two households are allowed to meet without keeping distance. This means that we can place two people from different households together in a cabin. If your booking confirmation states that you share a cabin with someone else and you object to this, please contact us to discuss the possibilities.
During the 2020 season, it appeared that our anti-corona measures on board are feasible and we fortunately did not have any corona cases on board.
What happens if your trip cannot go ahead due to corona (measures)?
That depends on the situation, with two options:
Situation 1: Due to (local) anti-corona measures, we cannot carry out the sailing trip you have booked.
Consider, for example, a travel or tourism ban or rules that prohibit the meeting of several households for the area where we sail.
If it concerns a certain (part of our) sailing area, we will offer you a comparable trip in an alternative area. If this is not possible, we will offer you three options:
- rebooking to another sailing trip of the Avatar
- a voucher for the amount you paid, which you can use as payment on a new booking on the Avatar within one year of the voucher being issued
- you will receive your payment back
Situation 2: You cannot participate in the sailing trip due to a corona infection, quarantine or anti-corona measures that apply to you.
If you or a housemate has corona and you are therefore in quarantine or if, for example, you live in a risk area and you are therefore not allowed to travel to the area where we sail, you will not be able to participate in the trip. In the latter case, you are usually allowed to enter if you can submit a negative corona test not older than 48 hours (the exact rules may vary per area).
If the sailing trip you have booked can go ahead, but you cannot join us due to personal corona circumstances, our normal cancellation conditions apply. In that case, check with your insurance company whether your travel / cancellation insurance covers your cancellation costs.